An official website of the United States government

Claims to U.S. Citizenship (over age 18)
July 25, 2023

If you were born abroad to a U.S. parent and have never been documented as a U.S. citizen before the age of 18, you may still qualify for U.S. citizenship. Please consult the transmission requirements for detailed information. If, after reviewing these requirements, you believe that you qualify, follow the instructions below.

Complete and print but do not sign the following forms:

  • Form DS-11
  • The U.S. citizen parent must complete the form DS-5507. The U.S. citizen parent’s personal appearance is required at the appointment!

Also bring the following original documents and a copy of each document to the appointment:

  • Proof of the U.S. citizen parent’s U.S. citizenship (U.S. passport, U.S. birth certificate, Consular Report of Birth Abroad, Certificate of Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization)
  • Original foreign birth certificate
  • Proof of the U.S. citizen parent’s physical presence in the U.S. (click here for examples). Check the transmission requirements for detailed information on the requirements .
  • If applicable: Parent’s original marriage certificate
  • If applicable: If born out of wedlock, father’s original affidavit of paternity (in Austria: Vaterschaftserklärung)
  • A self-addressed envelope with 5.50 Euros in stamps and a registered mail slip (Einschreiben)

Once you have assembled all the required documents, schedule an appointment for passport services [U.S. Citizens Services (state.gov)]. At the time of your appointment, you will be required to pay the fee for a first 10-year passport.