Location: Announced gathering points include, but are not limited to, the following areas in Vienna:
- Central Vienna (along the Ring)
- Hofburg Palace Complex
- Vienna State Opera House
Event: On Friday, January 24, 2020, the annual Wiener Akademiker Ball will take place at the Hofburg Palace Complex in the First District. Austrian police have reported that over 1,000 police and security personnel have been called to provide security for planned demonstrations surrounding the event. As in years past, authorities are establishing temporary exclusion zones and other security measures to control crowds and potential protest activity in the area in and around the Hofburg Palace. Disruptions to traffic (vehicles, pedestrian and public transit) are highly likely in the affected areas and along demonstration routes. In years past there have been some unruly groups, property damage, and arrests associated with this event.
- Starting at 3 p.m., street closures for vehicle traffic will begin.
- Starting at 5 p.m., access will be limited to ball guests, residents, and business owners for the area surrounding the ball venue – the Hofburg, Heldenplatz, the Opera House and portions of the ring road.
Actions to take:
- Avoid the areas of demonstrations.
- Follow the instructions of authorites and road signs regarding closures and detours.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Keep a low profile.