Location: Announced gathering points include, but are not limited to, the following areas in Vienna:
- Mariahilferstrasse and Neubaugasse
- Waehringerstrasse U6 Station, moving towards Schottentor, ending at Minoritenplatz.
Events: On Thursday, July 2, 2020, at 5:00 p.m., a protest organized by Black Lives Movement will be held at the U6 Waehringerstrasse at 5:00 pm. The group plans to move along Waehringerstrasse toward Schottentor and Universitaetsring ending at Minoritenplatz. Austrian authorities anticipate 1200 participants.
On Friday, July 5, 2020, at 4:00 p.m., a protest organized by “Palestine Solidarity Austria” is planned to take place at Mariahilferstrasse and Neubaugasse at 4:00 pm. This protest may have anti-U.S. sentiments.
Actions to take:
- Be aware of your surroundings; even peaceful protests can turn violent.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Follow the instructions of local authorities and road signs regarding closures and detours.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- U.S. Embassy Vienna
+43 1 313-39-0
+43 1 313-39-0 (after hours)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates