Location: Multiple locations in and around downtown Vienna, including the first and seventh districts.
- Tonight (November 3), tomorrow (November 4) and Sunday (November 5), from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m., there will be pro-Palestinian demonstrations at Stephansplatz (1st district) with up to 200 participants expected each evening.
- Tomorrow (November 4) at 1:00 p.m., approximately 100 pro-Palestinian demonstrators are expected to rally at Platz der Menschenrechte (on Mariahilferstrasse in the 7th district), followed by a march up Mariahilferstrasse to Christian Broda Platz (near Westbahnhof, also in the 7th district), with a scheduled end time of 5:30 p.m.
- Sunday (November 5) from 6:30 p.m. to 8:00 p.m., an estimated 800 pro-Palestinian demonstrators will hold a demonstration at Platz der Menschenrechte (on Mariahilferstrasse in the 7th district).
In addition to these demonstrations that have registered with the police, unsanctioned flash protests are possible. Most demonstrations in Vienna are peaceful, orderly and well-policed, however they can be unpredictable in nature. U.S. Embassy employees and family members have been advised to avoid the demonstration areas.
Actions to take:
- Avoid the area of demonstrations.
- Be aware of your surroundings. If you see something that seems odd or out of place, immediately notify the nearest law enforcement officer and move away from the area.
- Always carry your cellphone, programmed with local emergency numbers; Austrian Police (133), Ambulance (144), Fire (122), Europe-wide emergency (112).
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Follow the instructions of authorities and road signs regarding closures and detours.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Keep a low profile.
U.S. Embassy Vienna – Consular Section
Parkring 12A (Marriott Hotel Building), Vienna, 1190, Austria
U.S. Citizens emergencies ONLY: +43-1-31-3390
Embassy website: AT.usembassy.gov
Department of State – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates at
Follow us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter (@USEmbVienna)