Location: Vienna, 1st district
EVENT: Monday afternoon, October 16, from 4:30 p.m. to 7:00 p.m., several hundred pro-Palestinian demonstrators are expected to gather at Ballhausplatz (across from the Federal Chancellery) to protest the raising of the Israeli flag at the Austrian Chancellery and Foreign Ministry. Expect a large police presence and disruptions to traffic patterns.
Most demonstrations in Vienna are peaceful, orderly, and well-policed. All demonstrations and protests should be avoided as they are often unpredictable in nature. In addition to these registered demonstrations, unsanctioned flash protests are possible. U.S. Embassy employees and family members have been advised to avoid the demonstration areas.
Actions to take:
- Avoid the area of demonstrations.
- Be aware of your surroundings and trust your instincts. If you see something that seems odd or out of place, immediately notify the nearest law enforcement officer and move away from the area.
- Always carry your cellphone, programmed with local emergency numbers; Austrian Police (133), Ambulance (144), Fire (122), Europe-wide emergency (112).
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Follow the instructions of authorities and road signs regarding closures and detours.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Keep a low profile.
U.S. Embassy Vienna – Consular Section
Parkring 12A (Marriott Hotel Building), Vienna, 1190, Austria
U.S. Citizens emergencies ONLY: +43-1-31-3390
Embassy website: AT.usembassy.gov
Department of State – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates at https://step.state.gov/.
Follow us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter (@USEmbVienna)