Location: Announced gathering points include, but are not limited to, the following areas in Vienna:
- 1st District- Mariahilferstrasse / Human Rights Platz. Friday, December 10, 2:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m.
- 1st District- Heldenplatz / and march around Ring Road. Saturday, December 11, 12:00 – 6:00 p.m.
- 9th District- Sigmund-Freud-Park. Saturday, December 11, 1:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m.
There are expected demonstrations against Austria’s COVID-19 pandemic measures and mandatory vaccinations plan, with counter-demonstrations possible. Due to the continued quarantine for unvaccinated people, significant numbers of people are expected to attend these demonstrations. Heavy police presence and obstructions to traffic and public transportation should be expected in these areas.
Actions to take:
- Avoid the areas of demonstrations.
- Follow the instructions of authorities and road signs regarding closures and detours.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Keep a low profile.
- U.S. Embassy Vienna
+43 1 313-39-0
+43 1 313-39-0 (after hours)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444