Location: Announced gathering points include, but are not limited to, the following areas of Vienna:
- 6th District, Neubaugasse U-Bahn Station
- 1st District, Heldenplatz and Ring Road
- Friday, February 25 (beginning at 5:30 p.m.): Demonstrators will protest against the Russian invasion of Ukraine at Neubaugasse U-Bahn station, near MariahilferStrasse shopping area and the Haus des Meeres aquarium. Expect pop-up demonstrations throughout the weekend related to the ongoing situation in Ukraine.
Most demonstrations in Vienna are peaceful, orderly, and well-policed. However, all demonstrations and protests should be avoided as they are often unpredictable in nature. In addition to these registered demonstrations, flash protests are always possible.
Actions to take:
- Avoid the areas of demonstrations.
- Follow the instructions of authorities and road signs regarding closures and detours.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Keep a low profile.
U.S. Embassy Vienna – Consular Section
+43 1 313-39-7535 (weekdays 8 a.m. – 4 p.m.)
+43 1 313-39-0 (after hours, weekends and holidays)
Department of State – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
To receive security alerts by e-mail, enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program at https://step.state.gov/