Location: Announced gathering points include, but are not limited to, Vienna’s 1st and 9th Districts:
- Pestsäule and Graben, near St. Stephansplatz and throughout downtown Vienna
- Sigmund-Freud-Park, near Votive Church
- Other locations throughout Austria
- Saturday, January 22, noon – 3 p.m.: Demonstrators will protest against COVID-19 measures including mandatory vaccinations. Areas intended for demonstrations include the governmental district, the Ring Road, Stephansplatz, Graben, and Mariahilferstrasse/Museumsquarter. Counter-protests are possible and large numbers of protestors are expected. Expect a heavy police presence, and major traffic and public transportation distruptions on the Ring Road and downtown. Vienna ordinances now prohibit demonstrations in business areas during opening hours, however some groups have called for spontaneous gatherings in defiance of these ordinances.
Most demonstrations in Vienna are peaceful, orderly, and well-policed. However, all demonstrations and protests should be avoided as they are often unpredictable in nature. In addition to these registered demonstrations, flash protests are always possible.
Actions to take:
- Avoid the areas of demonstrations.
- Follow the instructions of authorities and road signs regarding closures and detours.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Keep a low profile.
U.S. Embassy Vienna – Consular Section
+43 1 313-39-7535 (weekdays 8 a.m. – 4 p.m.)
+43 1 313-39-0 (after hours, weekends and holidays)
Department of State – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
To receive security alerts by e-mail, enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program at https://step.state.gov/