Locations: Announced gathering points include, but are not limited to, Vienna’s 1st District, including:
- Mariahilferstrasse / Human Rights Square
- Heldenplatz (in front of the Hofburg Palace)
- Siegmund Freud Park (next to Votivkirche)
- Thursday, January 13, 6 p.m. – 9 p.m. at Mariahilferstrasse / Human Rights Square: Organizers are calling for a demonstration in support of human rights. A large number of protestors are expected, and counter-protests are possible.
- Saturday, January 15, noon to 6 p.m., at Heldenplatz (in front of the Imperial Hofburg Palace): Up to 100,000 protestors and 1,000 police officers are expected at a major demonstration against COVID-19 measures including mandatory vaccinations. Vienna ordinances now prohibit demonstrations in business areas during opening hours, however some groups have called for spontaneous gatherings in defiance of these ordinances. Expect a heavy police presence and major disruptions to traffic and public transportation along the Ring Road and downtown area. Counter-protests are possible.
Other planned minor demonstrations for various causes:
- Friday, January 14 to Saturday, January 15 at midnight at the Rathaus.
- Saturday, June 15, noon to 6 p.m. at Siegmund Freud Park (next to Votivkirche).
Most demonstrations in Vienna are peaceful, orderly, and well-policed. However, all demonstrations and protests should be avoided as they are often unpredictable in nature. In addition to these registered demonstrations, flash protests are always possible.
Actions to take:
- Avoid the areas of demonstrations.
- Follow the instructions of authorities and road signs regarding closures and detours.
- Exercise caution if you unexpectedly find yourself in the vicinity of large gatherings or demonstrations.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Keep a low profile.
U.S. Embassy Vienna – Consular Section
+43 1 313-39-7535 (weekdays 8 a.m. – 4 p.m.)
+43 1 313-39-0 (after hours, weekends and holidays)
Department of State – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
To receive security alerts by e-mail, enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program at https://step.state.gov/