Event: On March 14, the Department of State authorized the departure from any diplomatic or consular post in the world of US personnel and family members who have been medically determined to be at higher risk of a poor outcome if exposed to COVID-19. The government of Austria has implemented enhanced screening and quarantine measures to reduce the spread of COVID-19. Travelers should be prepared for travel restrictions to be put into effect with little or no advance notice. U.S. citizens who are considering returning to the United States are urged to work with their airlines to make travel arrangements while flights are still available. Many travelers worldwide have reported unexpected flight cancellations and limited flight availability. If your travel has been disrupted, please contact your airline.
The government of Austria has implemented measures to limit the spread of COVID-19. Visit the local government COVID-19 website for updated information. The Department of State has issued a Global Level 4 Health Advisory for COVID-19. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 3 Warning for COVID-19 in Europe advising travelers to avoid non-essential travel to Europe. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 3 Travel Notice for Austria. The government has implemented quarantines in isolated areas of Austria. Transportation to or from these areas, and public services including schools and government offices are closed. Private companies – including hotels, apartment buildings, or entertainment venues – have closed, restricted access, or mandated temperature checks, limiting access to goods and services.
Actions to take:
- Prepare to shelter in place for an indefinite period if you chose to remain in Austria, and follow instructions of local authorities.
- Call 1450 in Austria if you think you may have symptoms of COVID-19 and are seeking testing in Austria.
- Continue to use the emergency number 112 in Austria for immediate life threatening emergencies.
- Monitor local media: https://www.vindobona.org/, https://www.thelocal.at/, and https://fm4.orf.at/ (all sites in English).
- Visit https://www.viennaairport.com/currentinformation for current information regarding the Vienna Airport operating Status.
- Visit the following websites for updated border contrl and access information: https://ec.europa.eu/home-affairs/what-we-do/policies/borders-and-visas/schengen/reintroduction-border-control_en, https://www.oeamtc.at/thema/reiseplanung/coronavirus-uebersicht-36904404#nachbarlaender-36987168, or https://www.asfinag.at/traffic/traffic-infos/
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Austria.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
- U.S. Embassy Vienna
+43 1 313-39-0
+43 1 313-39-0 (after hours)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Austria Country Specific Information
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook