Note: Updated information will be prefaced with (NEW).
Event: Due to COVID-19. Austria is at a State Department Travel Advisory level 4, which means “DO NOT TRAVEL.” Americans wishing to depart should leave immediately via commercial aircraft. U.S. citizens remaining in Austria should be prepared to shelter in place. Whether to depart Austria or remain is a personal decision.
Information Regarding Flights to the United States. There are multiple commercial flight options to return to the United States. If you wish to depart, we urge you to work with your travel agent or airline while flights are still available. Travelers have reported unexpected flight cancellations and limited availability. If your travel has been disrupted, please contact your travel agent or airline. The U.S. government does not currently anticipate arranging repatriation flights from Austria.
(NEW) Austrian Government Measures. The government of Austria has implemented enhanced screening and quarantine measures to reduce the spread of COVID-19, and has placed limitations on gatherings and businesses. Travelers should be prepared for travel restrictions with little or no advance notice. As the Austrian government eases restrictions on individuals and businesses in Austria, we urge you to closely monitor Austrian government websites and official news releases to ensure your ongoing compliance with local rules and regulations. For the latest on COVID-19 prevention measures (store closures, mask requirements, etc.) click here and here.
(NEW) Limited Passport Operations. Because of public health measures to prevent the spread of COVID-19, we have limited ability to offer routine passport and citizenship services. Please consider waiting to apply until we resume normal operations. If you have previously applied for a passport or record of birth abroad, and have not yet received it, you should expect significant delays. If you have an emergency travel need, we can print emergency passports same day and are happy to work with you. Please contact us for an emergency appointment.
(NEW) Limited Mail to the United States. Austrian Post has temporarily stopped accepting mail to the United States. If you have mail that needs to get to the United States, we recommend considering electronic options for delivery or choosing a private package delivery company.
(NEW) Absentee Ballots. This mail restriction will not affect voting. We will accept your absentee ballots here in the Consular section of the U.S. Embassy and forward them at our cost. Unfortunately, we are unable to accept other items for mailing to the United States. For inquiries about absentee voting, please email VoteVienna@state.gov.
For More Information. Visit the local government COVID-19 website for updated information. The Department of State has issued a Global Level 4 Health Advisory for COVID-19. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 3 Warning for COVID-19 in Europe advising travelers to avoid non-essential travel to Europe. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 3 Travel Notice for Austria.
Actions to take.
- (NEW) Contact us via ConsulateVienna@state.gov for help if wish to discuss your passport, visa, travel, financial or other concerns. Contact us at VoteVienna@state.gov if you have any voting questions.
- (NEW) Make sure your Austrian visa or resident permit remain valid and apply for extensions as needed. For information about overstay click here.
- Prepare to shelter in place for an indefinite period if you chose to remain in Austria.
- Call 1450 in Austria if you think you may have symptoms of COVID-19 and are seeking testing. Testing may also be available through private clinics, in consultation with your doctor.
- Continue to use the emergency number 112 in Austria for immediate life threatening emergencies.
- Monitor local media: https://www.vindobona.org/, https://www.thelocal.at/, and https://fm4.orf.at/ (all sites in English).
- Visit https://www.viennaairport.com/currentinformation for current information regarding the Vienna Airport operating status.
- (NEW) Visit the following websites for updated Austria entry and exit requirements:
- For Austria entry requirements via land click here.
- For Austria entry requirements from the U.S. click here.
- For information about visa overstay and Schengen Zone overstay click here.
- For exit out of Austria via land border click here.
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Austria.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
- U.S. Embassy Vienna
+43 1 313-39-0
+43 1 313-39-0 (after hours)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Austria Country Specific Information
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook