Location: Worldwide Advisory Issued
Event: The COVID-19 (Coronavirus) has become a global pandemic. Due to efforts to slow the spread of the virus, severe travel disruptions and closing of public venues have occurred in Austria and around the world. The President issued an Executive Order temporarily suspending travel to the U.S. from the Schengen Zone, but this does not apply to U.S. citizens, their immediate relatives, nor to Legal Permanent Residents. Austria has a continuously adapting public health strategy to combat the spread of the virus, and continues to offer world class health care.
Actions to take:
- Follow the instructions of local Austrian government officials.
- Call 1450 should you be experiencing flu-like symptoms or running a fever. This is the Austrian Corona Testing hotline. Do not go to the hospital directly if you are symptomatic. The hotline will give you further instructions and ask you to avoid contact with others until testing can be completed. Please click here for further information from the City of Vienna.
- Call 112 if you are experiencing a medical emergency that is life threatening.
- Limit your exposure by practicing good hygiene skills such as hand-washing, covering your cough or sneeze and avoiding people who may be symptomatic. Exercise social distancing and avoid unnecessary contact to public venues.
- Monitor local media for updates. ORF-FM4 is the English-speaking radio channel broadcasted country-wide in Austria. For a list of their frequencies click here.
- Plan for widespread delays to travel plans, confirm your scheduled flight and train schedules, and prepare to remain flexible with your travel plans.
- Be prepared to shelter-in-place for an extended period of time.
- View our country specific page regarding conditions in Austria in relation to the Coronavirus. Click here for further information.
- Contact a travel agent if needed. The U.S. Embassy does not have information about air or rail schedules.
- Keep family and friends informed of any updated travel plans so they can know where they can expect you to be.
- U.S. Embassy Vienna
+43 1 313-39-0
+43 1 313-39-0 (after hours)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444