An official website of the United States government

How to Obtain Vital Records
April 6, 2022

The U.S. Embassy/Consular Section does not keep copies of the documents it issues, such as Consular Reports of Birth. These documents are filed in Washington. We also do not keep any files of Austrian civil documents, such as birth certificates, marriage certificates, etc. Other records, such as birth certificates of people born in the U.S. are stored in the state of origin.

This page is designed to help you locate the vital documents you need. The Embassy/Consular Section cannot obtain documents on your behalf, and cannot provide translations of documents issued in German. We recommend, however, when writing to the Austrian authorities, that you request an international version of the document in question.

Documents that must be ordered from the State Department in Washington

Obtaining records issued by the Austrian Authorities

Records of birth, marriage and death are generally kept at the Austrian vital records office (Standesamt) where the event occurred. Most cities have websites at www.(nameofcity).at where you can find the contact information for the appropriate Standesamt and request a copy of your birth or marriage certificate. This usually has to be done in writing and as much information as possible should be provided, including proof of your identity.

  • oesterreich.gv.at: select “Standesamt” in the drop-down menu and enter either zip code (“Postleitzahl”) or name of the city (“Ort”)

We recommend that you contact the Standesamt in question directly. Divorce decrees should be applied for at the court where the divorce took place.

PLEASE NOTE: Since November 2014, the request can be made to any Matriculation Office (“Standesamt”) in Austria.

Documents that must be obtained from a U.S. State

Vital Records are documents such as birth, death or marriage certificates. In the U.S., state, county or city governments, depending on location, usually hold such records. Here is some information to assist you in obtaining copies of such records.

Note: For your U.S. document to be accepted by the Austrian authorities, for example if you plan to get married, they also require that you provide an Apostille.

Fee-based on-line services that help obtain records