TO APPLY FOR YOUR ADULT PASSPORT BY MAIL, PLEASE FOLLOW THE STEPS BELOW:
Eligibility Requirements for U.S. Citizen Adult Passport Renewals by Mail
- You were at least 16 years old when your most recent passport book was issued; and
- You currently hold a 10-year passport which was issued within the past 15 years; and
- That passport has not been lost, stolen, damaged or mutilated; and
- That passport was not limited in validity from the normal 10-year period due to history of multiple lost/stolen passports or other reasons; and
- You are not requesting a change in the passport data, OR you can submit documentation to support the name change such as an original marriage certificate or court order; and
- You are only applying for a new passport book, not a passport card as well.
If you do NOT meet these criteria, you CANNOT apply by mail; you must make an appointment to submit a DS-11 passport application in person at U.S. Consulate Vienna.
INSTRUCTIONS for DS-82 Processing by Mail and Online Fee Payment for U.S. Citizens Residing in Austria
1. DS-82: U.S. Passport Renewal Application for Eligible Individuals
Complete this form: DS-82 form
- The Form Filler will select the correct form for you based on the information you input. It may generate a different form from what you expect.
- Note that some fields require U.S. addresses or phone numbers; you can leave these blank and fill them out in pen after the form has been printed.
- You must provide a Social Security number, if you have been issued one.
- If you do not have a Social Security number, you must submit this statement, signed and dated.
- You can renew a passport book by mail but not a passport card. If a passport card is needed, you will need to make an online appointment.
- You must complete all pages of the form and sign and date it.
- Your application MUST contain a valid e-mail so we can contact you if there are any problems with your case.
2. Photocopy & Submit your Most Recent U.S. Passport
You MUST submit both your most recent U.S. passport and a photocopy of the passport bio/photo page.
- Your current U.S. passport book must meet all the requirements listed at the top of this page.
- Your old passport book will be cancelled and returned to you.
3. Include Name Change Documents (if applicable)
If the name you are currently using is different from the name on your most recent U.S. passport, you must provide the original or a certified copy of the legal name change document, plus one photocopy. The original document must be in English (ask for the international version of the Austrian document at the local civil registry) or needs to be submitted together with a translation. Examples include:
- Marriage certificate
- Divorce decree
- Court-ordered name change document
Your original name change document will be returned to you. Please also submit a photocopy of your name change document to be kept with the application.
4. Provide a Photo
Provide one (1) passport-size photograph. Be sure your photo meets all U.S. passport hoto and format requirements. The default European photos are too small! Please note:
- U.S. passport photos must be 2″x 2″ (51mm x 51mm) in size with a plain white background and no glasses/eyewear.
- Click here for a list of shops that offer U.S. sized passport photos.
Pay the $130 passport application fee on Pay.gov, the U.S. government’s secure payment site. Pay.gov accepts credit cards, U.S. bank transfers, PayPal and Amazon Pay.
- You must print the electronic payment confirmation you receive from Pay.gov via email after successfully paying the fee and include it in the package you send to the Consulate.
6. Include a return pre-paid envelope
You must include in your package a pre-paid return envelope, size A5 or similar (large enough to hold two passports), which we will use to return your new and old passports. You must use Austria Post, and we will only mail to addresses within Austria. No other commercial couriers or forms of postage will be accepted.
- Austria Post Einschreiben Registered, €5.50 in postage
- Buy appropriate postage and the Einschreiben Registered barcode (long form) from your local Austrian post office.
- Stick the stamps on the right top corner of the envelope.
- Write your Austrian return mailing address in the center of the envelope.
- Note your barcode number so you can track the return of your package.
- Stick the Einschreiben barcode on the upper left corner of the envelope.
- Write your street and postal code on the bottom half of the Einschreiben. Place the Einschreiben inside the envelope; do NOT stick it on your envelope.
7. Mail your Documents
Mail your application packet to:
U.S. Embassy Vienna
Attn: Consular – American Citizen Services
*Make sure your packet includes ALL of these items: (1) completed, signed DS-82 form; (2) your current passport book; (3) a photocopy of your passport bio page, (4) your photo, (5) your payment confirmation page, (6) a self-addressed, postage-paid envelope for us to return your documents in, (7) if applicable, your signed statement that you have never had an SSN; and (8) if applicable, a copy of your marriage certificate or legal name change.
Once we receive your passport application, the average processing time is 5-6 weeks.
If you are traveling within 6 weeks, we recommend you make an appointment and apply in person at U.S. Consulate Vienna.
If you have any questions, please contact us at ConsulateVienna@state.gov or call +43 1 31 339 7535.
8. Check status
Visit U.S. Passport Application Status (state.gov) to check the status of your application.
Note: The “mailed” date refers to when your passport was mailed to Embassy Vienna. Please allow extra time for your passport to arrive at your home address!