Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA)


Before proceeding with the Consular Report of Birth abroad, note that all children born after June 11, 2017, the U.S. citizen parent has to have been physically present in the U.S. five years prior to the child’s birth, two of which must have been after the age of 14.  The U.S. citizen parent must be the genetic or the gestational parent and the legal parent of the child under local law at the time and place of the child’s birth (for more information click here).

Follow these steps to register your child (Must be under the age of 18 to complete the process):



  1. Complete & print the passport form (click here) (do not sign it – form must be signed in front of the officer).
  2. Complete & Print The Consular Report of Birth Abroad form (click here)
  3. Complete and Print the social security affidavit (click here)


Take a Passport Photo (See photo instructions). HINT: NOT A EUROPEAN SIZED PHOTO. Please use photos only from a special photographerPhotobooth pictures do not work!


  1. The child’s birth certificate
  2. Passports of both parents
  3. Marriage certificate of Parents (if applicable)
  4. Divorce Decrees of Parents (if applicable)
  5. Proof of five years of physical presence in the U.S. prior to the child’s birth (click here for examples)
  6. Austrian statement of paternity for a child born out of wedlock (from Standesamt).

4. ENVELOPE & STAMPS (To mail the documents back to you. We do not have pick up service)

  1. Obtain an Envelope (A5 preferred)
  2. Obtain a “Einschreiben Sticker” for registered mail in Austria from the post office. Fill this out but do not attach to the envelope.
  3. Obtain 5.05 Euros worth of Austrian Postage stamps.
  4. Put stamps on the envelope in the upper right hand corner.
  5. On the envelope, write the address in Austria where you would like the new passport and consular report of birth abroad mailed.

5. PAY

Bring Cash or Credit card: click here for the current fee to the appointment. Sorry, no Bankomat available.  NOTE: YOU WILL PAY FOR THE CONSULAR REPORT OF BIRTH ABROAD AND A CHILD’S PASSPORT


After you have all of your forms and documents completed and printed, make an appointment  by clicking here. We are located at Parking 12A, 1010 Vienna (North entrance of Marriott Hotel The child and both parents must appear in person. If this is not possible, click here.


List of requirements for minors to receive a passport and Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA)

At the time of your appointment (at the U.S. Consulate at Parkring 12a, 1010 Vienna [Hotel Marriott building]), please bring with you:

  • Your child and both parents
  • Completed “Application for a Consular Report of Birth” (Form DS-2029 [pdf/103kb]) – Do Not Sign!
  • Please complete form [pdf/12kb]
  • For children under age 12 the Social Security Number must be applied for directly with the appropriate Federal Benefits Unit in Frankfurt, Germany (
  • For Passport issuance please see: Application for Passports for Applicants under age 16)
  • Child’s Austrian birth certificate (International version). Provide birth certificate with official seal and signature. 
  • IMPORTANT INFO: For the Austrian birth registration at the Austrian Registrar’s Office “Standesamt” the parents need to provide their birth certificates and marriage certificate (if applicable) authenticated with an ”Apostille
  • Parents’ U.S./Alien passports
  • Parents’ marriage certificate (Civil records)
  • Proof of termination of any previous marriages (Death or divorce certificates)
  • If applicable, Austrian affidavit of paternity (Vaterschaftserklärung)
  • One photo, see photo instructions. Please use photos only from a special photographer.
  • If only one parent is a U.S. citizen, that parent’s proof of 5 years physical presence in the U.S., two of which were after the age of 14 (employment records, school transcripts, tax returns, etc.) prior to the child’s birth is needed.
  • As of June 12, 2017 to a U.S. citizen mother and alien father acquires U.S. citizenship at birth if the U.S. citizen mother has been physically present in the United States five years, two of which are after the age of 14, prior to the applicant’s birth.” For children born before the date, please contact the Citizen Services Section for further details.
  • Any previous Consular Report of Birth Abroad issued to other children in the family to expedite processing
  • Self-addressed envelope
    TO PICK-UP THE PASSPORT IN PERSON IS NOT AN OPTION! Attention: For all passport applications you must submit a self-addressed and pre-paid envelope for return registered mail!
    For maximum security, we will only return passports by registered mail, please follow as instructed;
    Please provide stamps in the amount of € 5.05. Get a “Einschreiben/Registered” sticker from your local post office. Fill in the sticker (do not attach it to the envelope) and attach only the stamps on your self-addressed envelope (preferably size A5).

Issuing time approximately 10 to 14 working days. Please remember to bring all required documentation and completed forms with you to your appointment.  If you do not bring all of the required forms and supporting documentation, you may have to make a new appointment and there will be a delay in processing your case.

Child Citizenship Act

The Child Citizenship Act of 2000 allows certain foreign-born, biological and adopted children of U.S. citizens to acquire U.S. citizenship automatically. These children did not acquire U.S. citizenship at birth, but they are granted citizenship when they enter the United States as lawful permanent residents (LPRs).

Click here for more details on the Child Citizenship Act.