Citizenship Services

One can become a U.S. Citizen through a variety of means—birth in the United States, birth abroad to a U.S. citizen parent, or through the naturalization process.  For all of these, a specific series of legal requirements must be met. At the U.S. Embassy Vienna, we can provide certification of U.S. citizenship for eligible individuals born abroad to U.S. citizen parents.

For more information, please click on the appropriate service below:

  • Due to COVID-19 backlog, Embassy Vienna currently has a six-month wait time for renunciation appointments.
  • Embassy Vienna will ONLY accept renunciation appointments from applicants who reside in Austria. If you live in another country, please contact your nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate.
  • Applicant must contact us via email:
  • The fee for renunciation is presently USD 2350 or equivalent in Euros.
  • For more information, click here

In addition to the naturalization process, the United States recognizes the U.S. citizenship of individuals according to two fundamental principles: jus soli, or right of birthplace, and jus sanguinis, or right of blood.

The 14th Amendment of the U.S. Constitution guarantees citizenship at birth to almost all individuals born in the United States or in U.S. jurisdictions, according to the principle of jus soli. Certain individuals born in the United States, such as children of foreign heads of state or children of foreign diplomats, do not obtain U.S. citizenship under jus soli.

Certain individuals born outside of the United States are born citizens because of their parents, according to the principle of jus sanguinis, which holds that the country of citizenship of a child is the same as that of his/her parents. The U.S. Congress is responsible for enacting laws that determine how citizenship is conveyed by a U.S. citizen parent or parents according to the principle of jus sanguinis. These laws are contained in the Immigration and Nationality Act.

Naturalization of children who regularly reside outside the United States (Form N-600K)

Certain children who regularly reside outside the U.S. may be eligible for citizenship under Section 322 of the INA. Form N-600K may be filed by:

  • A US citizen parent seeking citizenship on behalf of a minor adopted or biological child under section 322 of the INA (providing for citizenship through an application process for biological and adopted children who regularly reside outside of the U.S. and meet certain conditions while under age 18), or
  • If a U.S. citizen parent of a child who otherwise meets the eligibility requirements of INA 322 has died, a U.S. citizen grandparent or a U.S. legal guardian can file the application at any time within five years of the U.S. citizen parent’s death.
  • If the child’s citizen parent has not lived in the United States for at least 5 years, 2 of which were after that parent’s 14th birthday, the citizen parent currently has a parent (child’s grandparent) who:
  • Is also a U.S. citizen, and
  • Lived in the United States for 5 years, at least 2 of which were after the citizen grandparent’s 14th birthday and,
  • May be living or deceased at the time of the adjudication of the application and the taking of the Oath.
  • There are further requirements for eligibility; see the N-600K Form for more information.

Form N-600K must be filed with one of the USCIS offices in the United States.

For more information, please see the USCIS website page on “Citizenship of Children“.

In addition, the U.S. Department of State’s web pages on “Citizenship and Nationality” also provide detailed information on the Child Citizenship Act of 2000.

As U.S. citizen parent(s), you should report your child’s birth abroad as soon as possible to the U.S. Consulate to establish an official record of the child’s claim to U.S. citizenship at birth. The official record will be the Consular Report of Birth Abroad, Form FS-240 which is a basic United States citizenship document.

Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA)

A Consular Report of Birth (CRBA) is evidence of United States citizenship, issued to a child born abroad to a U.S. citizen parent or parents who meet the requirements for transmitting citizenship under the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA).

CRBA applications must be made before the child’s 18th birthday, and we recommend that the parents apply for the CRBA as soon as possible after the child’s birth. For applicants older than age 18 who have never been issued a CRBA, please refer to Possible Derivative Claim to U.S. Citizenship. Anyone who has a claim to U.S. citizenship must be in posession of a valid U.S passport to enter and exit the United States, even if they have citizenship of another country, as well.

BY APPOINTMENT ONLY: Please visit our appointment page in order to schedule a date for your child’s CRBA application. CRBA applications require considerable preparation and documentation, so please carefully review the following instructions.

Please come prepared and have all three forms completed!

List of requirements for minors to receive a passport and Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA)

At the time of your appointment (at the U.S. Consulate at Parkring 12a, 1010 Vienna [Hotel Marriott building]), please bring with you:

  • Your child and both parents
  • Please complete form [pdf/12kb]
  • For children under age 12 the Social Security Number must be applied for directly with the appropriate Federal Benefits Unit in Frankfurt, Germany (
  • Completed “Application for a Consular Report of Birth” (Form DS-2029 [pdf/103kb]) – Do Not Sign!
  • Completed Form SS-5 (pdf/57kb) “Application for a Social Security Card” – signed by the U.S. citizen parent
  • For Passport issuance please see: Application for Passports for Applicants under age 16)
  • Child’s Austrian birth certificate (International version). Provide birth certificate with official seal and signature. 
  • IMPORTANT INFO: For the Austrian birth registration at the Austrian Registrar’s Office “Standesamt” the parents need to provide their birth certificates and marriage certificate (if applicable) authenticated with an ”Apostille
  • Parents’ U.S./Alien passports
  • Parents’ marriage certificate (Civil records)
  • Proof of termination of any previous marriages (Death or divorce certificates)
  • If applicable, Austrian affidavit of paternity (Vaterschaftserklärung)
  • One photo, see photo instructionsPlease use photos only from a special photographer.
  • If only one parent is a U.S. citizen, that parent’s proof of 5 years physical presence in the U.S., two of which were after the age of 14 (employment records, school transcripts, tax returns, etc.) prior to the child’s birth is needed.
  • As of June 12, 2017 to a U.S. citizen mother and alien father acquires U.S. citizenship at birth if the U.S. citizen mother has been physically present in the United States five years, two of which are after the age of 14, prior to the applicant’s birth.” For children born before the date, please contact the Citizen Services Section for further details.
  • Any previous Consular Report of Birth Abroad issued to other children in the family to expedite processing
  • The fee of $ 215 (or € 194, in cash or credit card) for the CRBA and the passport
  • Self-addressed envelope
    TO PICK-UP THE PASSPORT IN PERSON IS NOT AN OPTION! Attention: For all passport applications you must submit a self-addressed and pre-paid envelope for return registered mail!
    For maximum security, we will only return passports by registered mail, please follow as instructed;
    Please provide stamps in the amount of € 5.05. Get a “Einschreiben/Registered” sticker from your local post office. Fill in the sticker (do not attach it to the envelope) and attach only the stamps on your self-addressed envelope (preferably size A5).

Issuing time approximately 10 to 14 working days. Please remember to bring all required documentation and completed forms with you to your appointment.  If you do not bring all of the required forms and supporting documentation, you may have to make a new appointment and there will be a delay in processing your case.

Child Citizenship Act

The Child Citizenship Act of 2000 allows certain foreign-born, biological and adopted children of U.S. citizens to acquire U.S. citizenship automatically. These children did not acquire U.S. citizenship at birth, but they are granted citizenship when they enter the United States as lawful permanent residents (LPRs).

Click here for more details on the Child Citizenship Act.