Ask a COVID-19 Question
For the latest Consular Alerts for U.S. Citizens please click here
Country-Specific Information for Austria:
- Austria is at a State Department Travel Advisory level 4, which means “DO NOT TRAVEL.” Americans wishing to depart should leave immediately via commercial aircraft. Whether to stay or go is your decision. Loans are available for direct return to the U.S. for U.S. citizens, if you are struggling to afford a ticket home, please email us immediately. Note: Loans cannot be provided for any other kind of assistance (i.e. to pay for your stay in Austria or to fly you to another foreign country).
- The Vienna Airport is open, and flights are continuing to operate. Please work with your travel agent or the airlines to see what flight options are available.
Austrian Government Measures:
- For the latest on Austrian Government COVID-19 prevention measures (store closures, mask requirements, etc.) click here, here, and here.
Entry and Exit Requirements:
- For Austria entry requirements via land click here.
- For Austria entry requirements from the U.S. click here.
- For information about visa overstay and Schengen Zone overstay click here.
- For exit out of Austria via land border click here.
Limited Passport and Notarial Operations for Emergency Only:
- Except in emergency cases, the State Department is not currently printing passports or consular records of birth abroad. Please consider waiting to apply until we resume normal operations. If you have an emergency travel need, contact us for an emergency appointment, and we can print emergency passports same day.
- Most notarial appointments are not emergencies, and you should delay your appointment. If, however, you have an urgent need for a notarial, please set an appointment or contact us by email.
Local Mail Limitations Removed:
- Austrian Post is again accepting mail to the United States.
- Please call 1450 if you believe you may have the virus. You will be given further instructions regarding testing. Private testing may also be available in consultation with your doctor.
- If you have a medical emergency, you should continue to use the 1-1-2 emergency number for a life-threating illness.
- The American Citizen Services Section of the U.S. Embassy Consular Section remains open. Please contact us at email@example.com should you need further assistance.
- ORF FM4- English radio in Vienna https://fm4.orf.at/stories/3000031/
- www.thelocal.at (English News in Vienna)
- https://www.vindobona.org/ (English News in Vienna)
- COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov
- Train information
- CDC page on COVID-19
- WHO COVID-19 page
- travel.state.gov (for specific country information)