Name Change

Name Change/ Correcting a Mistake in Your Passport

If your most recent U.S. passport was issued less than 1 year ago and you are requesting a correction of a mistake in your passport or are changing your name, you may also submit your application by mail. There is no fee for corrections in this instance. An appointment is required.

Please submit the following:

  • Form DS-5504 (pdf/90kb).
  • Your most recent U.S. passport issued less than 1 year ago.
  • A self-addressed stamped return envelope.
    Attention: For all passport applications you must submit a self-addressed and pre-paid envelope for return registered mail!
    For maximum security, we will only return passports by registered mail, please follow as instructed;
    Please provide stamps in the amount of € 6.25. Get a “Einschreiben/Registered” sticker from your local post office. Fill in the sticker (do not attach it to the envelope) and attach only the stamps on your self-addressed envelope.
  • For corrections: evidence of correct biographic information (birth certificate or previous U.S. passport).
  • For name changes: legal documentation of name change (marriage certificate, divorce decree, court order).

If your most recent passport has been issued longer than 1 year ago, please see U.S. Passports.