Vacancy Announcement Number: 16-04
OPEN TO: Austrian or other Non-U.S. Citizen students, ideally from within the European Union, with a valid permanent residence permit for Austria, who are enrolled as full-time students at one of the Universities or “Fachhochschulen” in Austria. Students must be at minimum 18 years of age.
MISSION: U.S. Embassy in Austria
SECTION/OFFICE: Public Diplomacy Section
HOURS: Upon agreement, usually 20 hours per week
DURATION: Minimum 2 months, maximum 4 months
START DATE: Upon agreement, throughout the year
The Public Diplomacy Section is dedicated to helping people in other countries understand the policies of the U.S. government as well as the American Peoples’ ideas and values. Public Diplomacy Vienna seeks to explain U.S. government policies and to build stronger institutional and cultural ties between the United States and Austria using the full spectrum of public diplomacy resources, including academic and professional exchanges, informational publications, seminars and conferences, media outreach, speaker programs, research and documentation, satellite digital video conferencing, Embassy website and Embassy Facebook and Twitter pages and by linking institutions in Austria with counterparts in the United States.
An internship with PA offers opportunity to become familiar with the public diplomacy work of a diplomatic mission. The intern assists with planning and organizing PA events, helps with research and reporting requirements, data entry and communicating with contacts.
Internships are offered at all sections of the Public Diplomacy Section, the Cultural Affairs Section, Exchanges and the Press Section.
The internship is on a volunteer basis. Note: no benefits, compensation, nor any future employment rights accrue as a result of an internship.
Studies: Majoring in one of the following studies: Political Science, International Relations, Journalism, Business, or English studies.
- German: Fluency in speaking/reading/writing.
- English: Fluency in speaking/reading/writing.
Knowledge/Abilities/Skills: Good computer skills (MS Office, Internet)
Application language is English. Interested applicants should submit:
- The completed form “Application for Internship”: please see website of the U.S. Embassy for downloading the form: Application for Internship
- A Statement of Interest describing the applicant’s objectives and motivations in seeking an internship with the U.S. Mission.
- Documentation of status as a full time student at a University or “Fachhochschule” in Austria (i.e. “Inskriptionsbestätigung”).
- For non-Austrian students: Documentation of legal residency in Austria
SUBMIT APPLICATIONS TO: E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
After an initial application screening, qualified applicants will be invited for an interview.
ADDITIONAL SELECTION CRITERIA:
- Students must have a valid health insurance.
- Successful candidates will be required to pass a security and a medical certification.
All selections are made consistent with the State Department’s Non-Discrimination Policy and with the Austrian Gleichbehandlungsgesetz to not discriminate among applicants on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, handicap, age or sexual orientation.