Vacancy Announcement Number: 16-02
OPEN TO: Austrian or other Non-U.S. Citizen students, ideally from within the European Union, with a valid permanent residence permit for Austria, who are enrolled as full-time students at one of the Universities or “Fachhochschulen” in Austria. Students must be at minimum 18 years of age.
MISSION: U.S. Mission to the International Organizations in Vienna (UNVIE)
SECTION/OFFICE: Public Affairs Section
HOURS: Upon agreement, minimum 20 hours per week
DURATION: Minimum 3 months, maximum 4 months
START DATE: Upon agreement, throughout the year
The Public Affairs Section of the U.S. Mission to the UN in Vienna seeks to explain U.S. government policies with regard to the United Nations in Vienna to the international press and the wider public.
The intern will be responsible for daily compilation of UNVIE press clips read by Mission and State Department personnel. Incumbent will also assist the Public Affairs Office in meeting U.S. Delegation press requirements during United Nations meetings in Vienna. Furthermore the intern will occasionally assist the section with organizing speeches, school visits, and the production of multimedia material.
UNVIE consciously seeks to expose interns to the wide variety of issues of global concern we deal with: nuclear nonproliferation, nuclear energy, international fight against organized crime, peaceful uses of outer space, and others.
The internship is on a volunteer basis. Note: no benefits, compensation, nor any future employment rights accrue as a result of an internship.
Studies: Major in one of the following University studies: Political Science, International Relations, Journalism, Media Studies (Publizistik), Marketing.
Languages: English: Fluency in speaking, reading, writing.
Knowledge/Abilities/Skills: Good computer skills: MS Office, Web research.
Application language is English. Interested applicants should submit:
- The completed form “Application for Internship”: please see website of the U.S. Embassy for downloading the form: Application for Internship
- A Statement of Interest describing the applicant’s objectives and motivations in seeking an internship with the U.S. Mission.
- Documentation of status as a full time student at a University or “Fachhochschule” in Austria (i.e. “Inskriptionsbestätigung”).
- For non-Austrian students: Documentation of legal residency in Austria
SUBMIT APPLICATIONS TO: E-Mail: email@example.com
After an initial application screening, qualified applicants will be invited for an interview.
ADDITIONAL SELECTION CRITERIA:
- Students must have a valid health insurance.
- Successful candidates will be required to pass a security and a medical certification.
All selections are made consistent with the State Department’s Non-Discrimination Policy and with the Austrian Gleichbehandlungsgesetz to not discriminate among applicants on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, handicap, age or sexual orientation.