Vacancy Announcement Number: 16-03
OPEN TO: Austrian or other Non-U.S. Citizen students, ideally from within the European Union, with a valid permanent residence permit for Austria, who are enrolled as full-time students at one of the Universities or “Fachhochschulen” in Austria. Students must be at minimum 18 years of age.
MISSION: U.S. Mission to the International Organizations in Vienna (UNVIE)
SECTION/OFFICE: UN Affairs Section
HOURS: Upon agreement, minimum 16 hours per week
DURATION: Minimum 2 months, maximum 4 months
START DATE: Upon agreement, throughout the year
The interns assist UN Affairs Officers as needed, including through longer-term analytical/research projects related to priority policy matters. Accompany officers to informal meetings and official UN conferences, providing written and oral readouts of those events. Help plan visits by high-level U.S. officials including scheduling meetings, preparing briefing materials, and supporting logistics. Support high-level conferences in March and May. If the intern is interested and if time allows, there may be opportunities for longer-term analytical/research projects.
The internship is on a volunteer basis. Note: no benefits, compensation, nor any future employment rights accrue as a result of an internship.
Studies: Major in one of the following University studies: Political Science; International Relations; American Studies, Economics, or other related field.
Languages: English: Fluency in speaking, reading, writing.
Knowledge/Abilities/Skills: Good computer skills: MS Office.
Application language is English. Interested applicants should submit:
- The completed form “Application for Internship”: please see website of the U.S. Embassy for downloading the form: Application for Internship
- A Statement of Interest describing the applicant’s objectives and motivations in seeking an internship with the U.S. Mission.
- Documentation of status as a full time student at a University or “Fachhochschule” in Austria (i.e. “Inskriptionsbestätigung”).
- For non-Austrian students: Documentation of legal residency in Austria
SUBMIT APPLICATIONS TO: E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
After an initial application screening, qualified applicants will be invited for an interview.
ADDITIONAL SELECTION CRITERIA:
- Students must have a valid health insurance.
- Successful candidates will be required to pass a security and a medical certification.
All selections are made consistent with the State Department’s Non-Discrimination Policy and with the Austrian Gleichbehandlungsgesetz to not discriminate among applicants on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, handicap, age or sexual orientation.