I-407 Abandonment of Permanent Resident Card/Green Card

Since July 1, 2019 USCIS will no longer accept Form I-407, Record of Abandonment of Lawful Permanent Resident Status, at international field offices by mail or in person.

What You Need to Know
Individuals who wish to voluntarily record abandonment of their lawful permanent resident (LPR) status must submit Form I-407 via mail to:

USCIS Eastern Forms Center
Attn: I-407 unit
124 Leroy Road
PO Box 567
Williston, VT 05495

We anticipate that processing times at the Eastern Forms Center, from receipt to completion, will be within 60 days, which does not include mailing time to or from abroad.

In very rare circumstances, a U.S. embassy, U.S. consulate, or USCIS international field office may allow an individual to submit a Form I-407 in person if he/she needs immediate proof that he/she has abandoned LPR status. The most common need for an expedited application is to apply for an A or G visa. Individuals may also submit Form I-407 to a U.S. Customs and Border Protection officer at a U.S. port of entry.

USCIS is shifting workload to process Form I-407, Record of Abandonment of Lawful Permanent Resident Status, domestically. U.S. embassies and consulates previously stopped accepting Form I-407. Currently, individuals who are outside of the U.S. and wish to record abandonment of their LPR status can submit the Form I-407 in person or by mail with an international field office.

Related Information: For more information, please view the web alert.